March 18, 2011

A Hungry Child Visits the ER

The making of a smile...





Jonathan rigged up a telephone set out of Dixie cups.  I always thought that was a crock.  But they really work!  Ellison was in the kitchen and the two of them "called" each other a lot.  Look at Marek checking out his dad...



Look closely at the following pic.  Can you find the irony?  Ha!  We laughed when we noticed the "Feed My Starving Children" logo next to that set of cheeks and that round belly.

Daddy gets Marek in the funniest positions to make him content when he has a tummy ache.

Getting so long!!!
The day found Ellison feeling better.  However, the evening found Marek with a temp of 100.3.  Yes, 1/10th of a degree from the 100.4 marker that requires a septic workup on a baby under 3 months of age in the ER (I hate knowing too much.  A septic workup is NOT fun). Marek now was starting to develop a cough, too.  I called the pediatrician's office, and they told me to go ahead to the ER since he was so close to the cut-off, rather than wait til the middle of the night.  So off Marek and I went.  Ellison was devastated and BEGGED to come, too.  I guess if there is a perk, the one perk is that a newborn with a temp is considered an emergency.  I knew we wouldn't have to wait long to get back to a room.  The tiny pediatric ED waiting room was FULL, and I said a prayer that the germs would stay off of Marek, as I put the canopy over him on his car seat.  Thankfully, the triage RN shared my sentiments, and escorted us to a little private waiting room to wait until the next ER room opened up.  The ER doc said he wasn't sure if they would do a septic workup on him - that he would discuss with the pediatrician on call.  I asked about a strep test since Ellison has strep, but he said they're not routinely done on infants.  Marek's ear was a little red, but he said he wouldn't call it infection...Okay...  So ultimately, the ER did nothing.  Told us to follow-up on Monday with our doctor, but to call sooner if any worsening.
[February 26, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment