May 16, 2012

No 7-Year Itch Here

My husband of 7 years was kind enough to not discourage me from going to the women's retreat, despite the fact that I would not get home until evening on our anniversary.  That morning we talked on the phone, and I told Mookie to go get the two cards out of the icebox that I had all ready for Daddy.  She was very excited to help out with this plan.
Meanwhile, Daddy had a little plan, too.  He and Mookie made a cake for us.  When they were choosing the frosting, Jonathan knew I would want buttercream, whereas Ellison wanted white frosting.  So he let her decorate her own portion and made the rest buttercream. :-)


After eating some take-out Chinese, they presented me with the cake...
... and a gift bag full of clothes.  That don't fit.  Not a one.  It was a valiant effort, and I appreciated it, anyway.  I just have a REALLY loud voice in my head pressuring the heck out of me to DO SOMETHING about my weight.  But let's save that for a therapy session or something, shall we?
I felt so bad - that night at about 10pm or so, I asked Jonathan if he got his cards.  He had no idea what I was talking about.  Apparently in the time that I reminded Mookie on the phone that morning, and the 2 minutes until she got off the phone with me, she forgot to get them out for me. ;-P  Poor Jonathan was probably a little ticked off inside thinking I did absolutely nothing for our anniversary!  The kicker of the day/night, was that Jonathan had promised Ellison she could sleep in our bed with me that night. ??!!  On our anniversary?!  Yes, so much for any romancing that night.  I guess that's the epitome of our family life right now, right?  But what a joy it is to know that we have each other and this family after 7 years... that we have a young child that will sleep in our bed on our anniversary... that's the stuff that dreams are made of [insert Carly Simon here].  That's us, just plugging away at life.  A good life.  When I met Jonathan 9 years ago, I never would have imagined this would be our life together.  Or that we would have a life together.  After being divorced at the age of 26, I seriously wondered if I would ever get the chance to be married again.  I wondered if I was going to stay single for the rest of my life.  But God had infinitely better plans for me.  And I am grateful.  I am blessed.  Beyond measure.  Happy 7 years, honey.  I love you and the life we have together!
[April 29, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment