February 16, 2012

The Big Date Night

The most anticipated night of the year (for Ellison) arrived: the annual Father-Daughter Sweetheart Dance through our church.  This year marked their 3rd year attending.  Ellison looks SOOOO forward to this special night, and I have to admit that I beam with pride when I see the two of them get to share in this special evening.  Daddy will always be the first man Ellison ever dated and loved.  I thank God that He has given Ellison's future beau some pretty big shoes to fill.  But I can't think of that too long, lest I get all choked up and need you to talk amongst yourselves...
Ellison chose her own dress this year.  She settled on a particular one, but then the weekend before the dance, as we were trying to find her growing feet some new shoes, she fell in love with a different one.  So the former will be saved for Easter.  I had strict instructions that I could not allow Daddy to see "the dress"; that he must be completely surprised when she comes down the staircase for the big reveal.  She excitedly plotted with me, "Mom, can we get me ready while Daddy doesn't see me until I come down the stairs to surprise him?  Like we did last year?"
I told her I would do her hair very pretty, and put it up in a fancy up-do.  She had other ideas.  "Mom, can we please do my hair the way I want?  I want it half-up with big curlies, not little ones."  Alrighty.  Ask and you shall receive.  She was so thrilled with the final outcome.  She just kept beaming at herself in the mirror.  Though I don't want my daughter growing up conceited by any means, I wish she would always feel beautiful like that.  As beautiful as we see her, and as beautiful as God created her.  (Welll, there I go getting all sentimental again...)

Stage I complete.  Having a snack while awaiting her Prince Charming's arrival from work.

 Daddy's sweetheart...


Yes, folks, we make a big deal of this special night...  Complete with a little wrist corsage....







Very excited to wear her "fancy coat" that was a gift from about 2 years ago.

And my handsome big man - my handsome little man was grabbing at my legs whining to be picked up. :-)
They closed the place down this year.  Sounds like they had an awesome time.  Ellison kept saying, "Guess who I danced with the most?  Daddy!"  Ellison told me they danced to her and Daddy's song, "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman (it's always spoken to Jonathan, and he always calls it "their" song), and all the young girls, including her, put their arms around their daddies at the end of the song and layed their heads on them.  Ugh.  I SO would've needed a box of tissues.  And probably a Valium or something.
Jonathan told me they started a dance train, too, and Ellison even got to lead it at one point.  She saw all kinds of friends there.  She had remnants of chocolate on her lower lip.  What more can you say?  Fabulous night.
[February 10, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment