January 9, 2012

Elli-isms

This Christmas season, there have been many talks of the Nativity in our house.  One day while informing me of the different parts of the nativity she would have us all play out, she started off with, "Mom, you get to be the donkey."  Now, mind you, this wasn't by default.  It wasn't because all of the other parts were taken.  In fact, no one else's part had even been mentioned yet.  Imagine my delight when I learned that "donkey" automatically came to my daughter's mind when she thought of me and the part I should play.  No angel.  Heck, not even a wiseman.  After dishing out the donkey part for the woman that bore her for 9 months, she then said she would be Mary, Daddy would be Joseph, and Marek would be Baby Jesus.  Really?  Again, not the angel at least?

And, as if I don't feel low enough on the totem pole, at night when we're doing our nightly ritual with putting Ellison to bed, and we both lay down with her for a couple of minutes after reading bedtime stories, she'll sigh and say, "Oh, there's just not enough room in here.  Mom, go out."  It's a queen size bed, y'all...

While on a walk around the neighborhood on a warm day while looking at Christmas decor, Ellison noticed wreaths hanging on our neighbors' windows and said so matter-of-factly, "Wow, I didn't know old people could put wreaths up."

We all know Ellison is a Daddy's girl (see paragraph 2).  But man, can she lay it on thick.  Close to the time he should be coming home from work, I was walking down the stairs where I found Mookie paused halfway down, holding her hand up on the canvas (it's a pic of the three of us pre-Marek).  At first I was puzzled, until I realized she was holding her hand on Daddy.  Then when we got down the stairs, she nuzzled her cheek into her shoulder and gushed, "Oh, I can just feel his arms and neck...".

When having a talk with her about acting shy in front of friends we have known for a very long time, I was explaining that she needed to be polite and not act that way the whole time since I know Ellison can be a total social bug.  She replied, "I'm just a little shy at first, Mom.  It's just the person I am."


No comments:

Post a Comment