August 9, 2011

The Week of H-E-Double-Hockey-Stick

Before it even began, I couldn't WAIT for the week of July 31 to be over!  I knew we had a ton going on that week, and it all started with the worst 12-hour shift I have ever worked here in NC.  It was so busy, we had people that called in sick, we were short a doc, there were only 2 of us RNs, and we each had to have a new-grad RN follow us around, we had 15 transfers to the ED, many of those ambulance patients, etc, etc.  It was terrible, and I'm not even describing the majority of it.  The rest of the week had some fun scheduled, but it was going to be a lot of running around - like not enough time in the day type.  Beyond the fun stuff, everything felt overshadowed by the overwhelming tagging/hanging of 12 bins of clothing before our Pre-Consignment Sale the following Saturday.  Literally every free moment was spent messing with clothes, plus I had to work 2 nights during the week.  It sounds minor, but it was such an exhausting week on top of caring for children and keeping up with meals and such, and only by the grace of God did I get through it with some sanity left.  On top of it all, poor little Bubba had a nasty cough, but seemed fine the whole week; however, on Friday morning he was wheezing.  I gave him a neb treatment, which he handled like a champ (amazing at this age), and just left a message for the pediatrician, as they told me to do if I ever needed to use the nebulizer again.  I told him he was doing fine - no fevers, sleeping good, playful, etc.  Of course, they wanted to see him in the office.  And, though it was nice peace of mind to make sure his ears and such were fine, he just had a virus. Oh, and they remeasured him, and he's 27 1/4 inches, which puts him in the 88th percentile. :-)
So, here come a couple pics from the week...
[July 31 - August 6, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment