January 14, 2011

Bun Status

Still cookin'!  After feeling prepared to have this baby, we were so glad he/she didn't make his/her arrival this week since Jonathan and I were both sick.  Nasty bronchitis and sinus infection, body aches, fevers, etc.  It has truly been a miserable week physically.  We did not want to expose a newborn to us, and I certainly didn't feel in any shape to labor.  So here we are again thankful for making it past yet another part of this pregnancy.  Now I'm just left with pink eye, but that's being taken care of.  Knock on wood, we're praying Mookie stays nice and healthy.

Today marked my last official OB appointment before baby's arrival!  If the baby doesn't come before, we are actually going in Tuesday morning for an induction.  Though it will be a few days shy of my due date, there were a couple of reasons why we chose to go ahead and do it, even though I have never been a fan.  One of the benefits is that my parents can be here - we won't be fretting about logistics with Ellison, and my mom will actually get to witness the birth of one of her grandchildren.  The other benefit is that we know for sure we will be able to get the IV antibiotics in time to prevent the baby from getting Group B strep, which I tested positive for.  Not always possible if the delivery goes too fast.

I am still dilated to 4cm, but more effaced - about 70%, and the head is now engaged and no longer floating.  I kinda thought it had been that way for a while since I kept being told the baby's head is so low, but apparently it's made more of a change.  She's estimating that the baby is somewhere in the 7 pound range.

I was told today that my lips look swollen, like they've been injected with collagen, and I immediately thought of my mom, who has always claimed that she can tell when women are about to deliver because they usually get swollen lips.  It will be interesting to see if we make it to Tuesday.

Ellison sweetly asked Grandma and Grandpapa if they would come tomorrow instead of Sunday, and so of course they will be here tomorrow evening now. :-)  We are so excited!

So given we have an uneventful weekend, we head to the hospital at 5:45am on Tuesday morning.  Dr. Richardson seems to think it will only take 3-4 hours and that we should have a baby by late morning.  We shall see!  It looks like our babe's birthday is going to be January 18!

On a side note, Ellison has made it known all along that she thinks she's going to have a sister, and that she would like a sister, but has never made a huge deal of it.  This morning she kept insisting that she really wants a sister.  When I talked again about how we will be so happy with whatever God gives us, and that we'll have fun with our baby no matter what, she still kept saying, "but I want a baby sister".  Oh my.  When I told her, too, that Grandma would be coming to the hospital with us, she said, "But I want Grandma to stay with me."  After telling her Grandma is going to take pictures so she could show her later, she seemed pacified, but this will be interesting... ;-)
[January 14, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment