November 8, 2012

Mile Run

I about choked when I saw in the school's PE newsletter that the kids would all be doing a Mile Run during PE class, inviting parents to come and cheer the kids on.  I thought, "Surely they will never have the kindergartners do that."  But, just in case, me and Marek went out to support Ellison and her class on their PE day.  Sure enough, they were going to attempt it.  It was the cutest set-up - they each got racing numbers complete with the time-sensitive bar, there was an official clock, a finish line, even a refreshment table.  Mr. Halkyer (the PE teacher) explained that the gentleman helping out is a big runner, and offered his services.  Though they muttered that this age would likely not be able to do a whole mile, they would at least start it out.  To make a mile, the kids would have to run 11 laps.

Ellison kept saying she was chilly.  But it was perfect running weather.


Part of the fan section...


(Ellison in the middle):

Lucky number 143!

Mason didn't want his photo taken...

Natalie

The boys of Ms. Swartz's class.  Don't know what happened, but then all the kids ran off without us getting a photo of the girls!  Gonna see if I can get their names right: Jordan, Tyler, Jack L., Jack, Henry, ???, Connor, Samuel, Lucas, Brian, Mason

The starting line (Amy, Ellison, and Lucas?)

Off they go!

There's our girl, going strong.

Okay, so I know I shouldn't be boasting, but just indulge me for a bit.  After 1 lap, a good chunk of the kids just lollygagged, or went and sat on the curb.  A small handful actually were into it.  I kept hearing the timekeeper guy and Mr. Halkyer talk about how they'll be lucky if the kids make it 4 times around.  Well, Miss Ellison took it very seriously and put forth her best effort.  With the exception of maybe one minute of walking in the middle, that girl ran the whole mile!!!  The timekeeper guy was even muttering about "one girl who was probably going to make the mile" and asked me if she was my daughter.  Proud as a peacock, I affirmed that, and he said, "She is just rock steady.  Most kids go out to fast to start, but she's just maintaining the same speed the whole time, nice and steady."  With half of the kids watching from the curb, Ellison was the first girl across the finish line, with only 3 boys that finished just ahead of her.  I was one excited Mama, let me tell you!!!  It was so awesome, and we were so proud of her!  She's always been a little runner.  Maybe this will be her niche.

Way to go, girfriend!!!

Miss Natalie finished, and did a great job also!

Mason and Jenna

Ms. Swartz's class with Mr. Halkyer
[September 24, 2012]

No comments:

Post a Comment