Ellison's first day of school... which coincided with our last moments with Gram and Papa. It was either going to be a good distraction, or a complete disaster. Thankfully, it was the former.
A new year, a new school, completely new friends and classmates. Ellison was excited and looking forward to the big day. She is going 5 days a week this year, to gear up for those long kindergarten full days next year. It tugs at my heart a little that my little girl will no longer have any regular free days during the week until she's, well, hopefully in her 20's. I have to admit, thinking of it that way makes me feel guilty that I'm not having her go just 3 days a week. She's got a lot of school ahead of her. But I can say writing this a couple of weeks after the school year began, that this daily routine works so much better for her than our free-form summer did.
Always our little poser...
While Marek hung back at home with Papa, the 3 of us gals headed off to school. We got to take Ellison into her classroom this time since she missed out on the open house day from being sick. There weren't any kids in the class yet, and she was quite shy being introduced to Miss Lisa and Miss Kara. She was a little clingy, and kept asking for us to stay there. Then I showed her her very own cubby that had her name in it. By then, other kids were starting to trickle in the door, and when they each got to grab their name (written on an apple) from a tree and put it in a basket, it was all over. She was rarin' to go.
She sat down to work on a puzzle while the kids continued coming in, and cheerfully bade us goodbye.
So it did, indeed, end up being the perfect distraction. No tears involved the farewell exchange between Mookie and her grandparents.
After soaking up every last moment of Moo-Moo time, Marek and I took Gram & Papa to the airport. The visit went way, way, way too fast, as always.
So now that Marek was officially crawling all over the place, we quickly had to get into emergency baby-proofing stage. I know, it should have been done long ago, but we never had to do much with Ellison. Marek has a built-in man radar for anything electric or electronic. He hones in on it, and there is no breaking him of it. Not even a barricade of strategically placed pillows. Seriously, babies are supposed to be easily distractable. Not this one. I was constantly finding him playing with the U-Verse and Insignia box below the TV. So I blocked them, thinking they would be out of sight and out of mind. I turned around for a couple of minutes, to find my little worm weaseled his way between the pillows to find what he wanted.
He's keeping us on our toes, this one. He's all smiley - a happy, grinning, lovable baby. It's all a facade, I tell you. He's smooth. And I just want to eat him. Speaking of eating, we just need to keep his little chompers off the electrical cords! We need to get more creative because I have caught him biting on the thick TV cord coming out of the outlet! Yikes!
But I digress...
Ellison asked if she could feed Marek his bottle that night. We happily obliged, and it was such a sweet sight.
True, he could've pretty much held Ellison in his lap, but so sweet.
[September 6, 2011]
No comments:
Post a Comment