This marked the first year Ellison did Vacation Bible School. For some reason, our church didn't do one this year, so she attended the one at Friendly Avenue Baptist. She loved it! The theme was "Gold Rush". I assumed going into it that she wouldn't tell me much about it - much like the school year where I'd get "I'm too tired to talk about it," as the answer to my prodding parental questions about her day. But she was eager to tell me about each day of VBS (or "Decation Bible School" as she called it), and even perform the songs she was learning.
Day 2 of VBS had her completely enthralled with the rock collection that she acquired, which included some rocks they got to paint gold. It was fun to go "panning" for the rocks, too. Ellison was occupied for quite some time once we got home. She was endlessly sorting her rocks into like groups. Our little organizer.
The last day of VBS...
Not sure why the kids didn't get to perform facing the parents, but Ellison's somewhat hidden on the right-hand side of the photo in front.
The kids all sang their songs while the parents stared proudly at their backs (and a little girl - who was obsessed with Marek each time we picked up Ellison - couldn't keep her hands from caressing his cheeks). Then came the zenith (because I hate the word "climax"): they weighed the "Boys" and "Girls" change buckets to determine who was going to get a pie in the face. It finally made sense: Ellison kept telling me all week long that she had to take "as much money as I can" to put in the bucket, and something about a pie in the face. I couldn't figure out why she'd be told to bring money like that with her... sheesh. Anyway, the girls won. :-) And Ellison thankfully loved every minute of it. Hoping this is the perfect prep for a great Awana experience this fall.
[July 11-15, 2011]
No comments:
Post a Comment