June 27, 2011

Summer School

So on day ONE of summer vacation, Ellison was already bored out of her mind, and I was already panicked about what on EARTH we were going to do all summer.  Yes, we joined Hamilton Lakes Pool Club this summer, but it's just not an easy outing with a 5 month old that shouldn't wear sunscreen yet, and that doesn't get good naps when we're out, so we certainly won't be going daily.  So my mom suggested I have "school" at home, complete with a little bell and scheduled times/activities.  Ellison LIT UP and grinned at the idea.  She LOVES doing "school work" at home with those learning workbooks all the time, and pretending is right up her alley!  So I have some things I want to incorporate, but I'm feeling like I don't have the time to get great plans for each day.  There are so many resources out there, and I don't know where to begin.  I want to have themes and such to our days (thinking I'm a little OCD with this stuff), but I'm not sure why I'm going that crazy about it?  It's almost overwhelming because I'm envisioning a homeschool-like plan, but I don't feel like I have time to put that much into it (yet here I blog).  She keeps asking me when she can help me put together daily plans - she is so anxious to do it.  The extent of what I've done thus far?  We made a volcano for a science project...  Ha!

I know it's a rainbow volcano, but at least the concept is there, right?  Right???  When I was a girl and we used to make a volcano, we used mud, which looks much more "real", but since I didn't feel Jonathan would appreciate us digging up the yard, we settled for using her old Play-Doh that needed to be thrown out.  She thought it was very cool to watch the "lava" do its thing.
So the only other thing we've done is work through a great new kindergarten workbook, which she loves.  But I think clearly I am not one that has been called to homeschool at this point. ;-)  But hopefully I won't ruin her eagerness for learning by dropping the ball, either.
{June 13, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment