April 12, 2011

Making Messes

The day was a good one, if only it had ended that way for Ellison...

My day started off with an abrupt awakening at 6am to realize that Marek had slept ALL night again.  He's been going 9 hours a few times, but very inconsistently, and only on the nights I've worked.  I tried not to have my hopes up, and told myself I'd be getting up at 2am to feed him, but Popsicle went 10.5 hours last night!!!  Proud mama, I am.  2 nights in a row of very long stretches.

The morning went smooth, we were in good moods, and we got to go to play with some friends today.  Our playdate was at the McShea's house today, and we all brought some candy-filled eggs so the kids could do an Easter egg hunt.  The kids loved it, of course.

After we were settled back home this afternoon, Ellison and I got out our Easter stuff after I realized I'm a mom and I'm supposed to be making holidays fun around the house and I skipped St. Patrick's Day and Easter's a very big deal.  Now I know, not the eggs and bunnies and such, but we still need to decorate for it. Ellison was giddy.  She loves rediscovering window clings, books pertinent to the holiday, knick-knacks, holiday stuffed animals, etc.  She unwraps or unloads each item with complete enthusiasm, then asks me if certain ones can take up residence in her bedroom "because it matches my room, Mom".

While cooking dinner tonight, Ellison was having a gay old time playing and pretending with her Easter baskets and chicks and things.  She then started throwing her Easter grass up in the air, having a ball...

 I love seeing her have fun like this. :-)
I was all for it - just kept telling her she could do it as much as she wanted until dinnertime, then she would have to clean it all up by herself.  Of course she agreed in the heat of the moment, but when it came time to head upstairs for the night, she completely stalled in cleaning this heap of a mess up.  Let's just say, after several consequences that ruined her night, we can see our living room floor again.  When we were tucking her into bed, she said, "Mom, Dad... I'm never going to make big messes again!"  The point was apparently lost on our little miss.  Go ahead and have fun making big messes, Mookie, but just clean them up.  5 bucks says we now have a future OCD clean-freak on our hands...
[April 12, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment