April 6, 2011

Daddy's Birthday

Daddy's getting oooold! ;-)  I can only say that because I'm younger.  Dad turned 43 on March 26.  He spent the morning doing yardwork.  That's what he wanted to accomplish that day, so me and the kids stayed in, and at one point Ellison and I went to the store to pick out the decorations for Daddy's cake.  His request was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  I decided then and there that my chocolate hiatus was over.  Or so I hoped.  I was gonna attempt to eat chocolate and prayed it wouldn't bother Marek like it seemed to before.  But I digress...  So Ellison chose the red frosting to decorate the cake with, and she chose some colorful candles.  She totally bailed on me when it came time to bake the cake, but asked about 63 times if we could decorate it yet.  On the 63rd time, the answer was finally yes.  I had the idea that I'd be taking the extra cake into work the next day to share with my coworkers.  That is, until I discovered Ellison was licking her spatula, then using it to continue frosting the cake.  Family cake it is.  So we were just a smidgen shy of having enough of the chocolate frosting, so while Jonathan was running out, I had to ask him to get some more frosting for his cake.  I felt a little bad asking him to get stuff for his own cake.  So he bought milk chocolate instead of the plain chocolate I had, which was a completely different color, so we had to go over top of the whole cake with frosting again.  As we were eating it, Jonathan kept ooing and aahhing over the milk chocolate frosting, and how glad he was that he got that kind because it was so good.  I really had to fight back some annoyance.  I tell this stupid little story because, this is SO Jonathan!!!  He is never 100% thrilled with any gift I ever give him, and this carries over into other areas as well.  It's to the point that I now wrap the gift receipt with a bow, because I know it will for sure be used, since he returns just about every gift I ever pick out for him.  So what did we get him for his birthday?  He ordered his own sunglasses.  So spontaneous and thoughtful, huh?  But I did attempt to make a nice dinner for us that night.
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to make this sound like a husband-bash session.  It's a running joke between us over the last few years.

Ellison with the finished product.  She stuck every single candle into that cake, as I attempted to locate a fire extinguisher.

(I'm embarrassed at the condition of the kitchen here.  But can you see that I'm at the sink cleaning it up?  Please tell me you realize this...)


The birthday boy with his little loves.


Happy Birthday, Jonny!!!
[March 26, 2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment